This section contains terminology conventions I use for some fundamental terms in my thinking and writing. They usually have several more or less diverse meanings and definitions and their understanding differ, depending on a background of the reader.
As this set of writings is intended for fairly diverse audience, I decided to publish and maintain a list of terms I believe to need a shared definition available at a click.
The key goal is not to get the best definition possible, but a definition good enough to use and shared as common base for conversation.
The definitions presented here do not aspire to be binding outside of this tiny world of PIP blog, but feel free to adopt them, if you wish.
Below you see a list of terms with short explanations. Elaborated definitions are on separate pages, linked through each word (if available).
- +3D Political Map is an experimental methodology to of political models, defined in three dimensions: governance, economy and ecology.
- Affinity is one possible basis of social cohesion, where a group is defined by common goals, and have complimentary abilities and to reach those goals. Groups that organize this way are also bonded through mutual sympathy and respect.
- +Arbitrary is a feature of a choice, decision or judgement which is sovereign, without any reasoning needed to support it.
- +Capitalism is a hybrid (economic and political) ideology system, believed to be “the best known system to increase material wealth”
- +Commons is a socio-economic model of resource management, based on community-driven stewardship and sustainable use of resources.
- +Community is a group of people, declaring themselves as such.
- +Confederacy Protocol defines minimal rules of behavior among communities, members of confederacy.
- +Confederated network A distributed network of entities, following principles of confederation and driven by mutually agreed confederacy protocol.
- +Confederation is an inter-community governance structure based on the protocol(s), controlling interactions between communities.
- +Cooperative is an equitable association of persons who join forces to achieve economic goals.
- +Distributed network is a minimum two-tier network, having no single central hub.
- +Dunbar number is approximate number of meaningful concurrent direct social relationships a hyman being can cultivate over long time (150-250).
- +Ecology is a system of knowledge, skills and practices concerning circulation of matter an energy between a community and its surrounding environment (including other humans).
- +Economy is a system of knowledge, skills and practices concerning distribution and redistribution of resources within community or society.
- +FairCoin is a blockchain, proof-of-cooperation based cryptocoin, intended to be post capitalist universal currency.
- +Free market is an idealised trade system, based on self regulation and driven solely by price information.
- +Governance is a system of knowledge, skills and practices concerning decision-making process.
- +Homo Economicus is an idealized “rationally selfish” actor of free market.
- Identity is one possible basis of social cohesion, where a group is defined by a common, often deeply held, characteristic.
- +Integral Cooperative aims to fulfill all kinds of needs of its members, thus creating a micro-bubble of Solidarity Economy.
- Liberation is the full realization of self-determination and self-organization. The situation in which political and personal aspects of life are in harmony, not opposition.
- +One degree of separation is a “social” distance, defined as “I know someone who knows you”.
- OSAT is Open Source Appropriate Technology.
- +Protocol is a set of rules, defining behavior and communication between entities involved, depending of various factors.
- Revolutionary community is any Community that promotes self-organization and self-determination, through radical defiance of authoritarian powers or an oppressive status quo.
- Self-Determination is the right and ability of an individual to decide the circumstances and trajectory of their own life.
- Self-Organization is the right and ability of a community or collective to determine their own culture and organisational structure. Sometime referred as self-governance.
- +Society is a distributed network of communities, mutually interrelated to coexist, communicate and cooperate safely.
- +Solidarity Economy is a model of economy focused on fulfilling needs of of population members and an equitable and sustainable way.
- Tech-guerilla is an irregular warfare against the capitalist and state system, through changing and repurposing infrastructure and technological systems.
- +Technology is a system of knowledge, skills and practices concerning the way humans convert energy and matter among various forms.